Once we had the thumbs-up from the author and publisher on the sample-spread, the next step in producing the artwork for the Alfredo was to dig into the rest of the pages.
I took my initial colour and shape blocking pass and did a more worked up version of these. I still kept it pretty loose, but I started to refine the rhythm and progression of the colour as well as paying closer attention as to how the text would sit in the layouts.
The most important aspect of the images in this book was to capture Alfredo's physicality and movement, so I attempted to work that into it much more at this stage.
The image above is a 'colour-script' compiled from all the individual roughs (below).