Wednesday, April 27, 2011

THE FURRY PALS!!!



The Furry Pals is an animated short created and directed by Rikke Asbjorn and produced at the Cartoon Network Development Studio Europe. I art directed the project as well as storyboarding and writing it alongside Rikke.
It was amongst six original shorts produced at the studio and our brief was simply to create something short, funny and that would show some potential to being developed further towards a TV series.
So Rikke's idea was basically about a gang of reckless, but lovable animal pals on an ill fated quest to help other creatures in need. Like the animal A-Team.
The short itself is really just a chase cartoon, but we expanded upon the larger concept in a mini-bible including character descriptions and some story synopsis that was also pitched to the network.

Here are the storyboards we produced for the short. These were then put into an animatic and then layouts were produced directly from the rough boards. The entire short was animated in Flash in-house at the studio.










These are a collection of backgrounds I produced for the short. They were all done in the photoshop and then the entire thing was composited in After Effects.








A huge, huge thanks goes out to the crew. Here are the credits...

Created and Directed by Rikke Asbjorn
Art Director - Chris Garbutt
Storyboards - Rikke Asbjorn and Chris Garbutt
Animation - Rikke Asbjorn, Valentina Ventiiglia and Gale Walton
Compositing - Celine Desrumaux
Editing - Jamie Foord
Voice Talent - Rob Rackshaw, Lewis Macleod and Charlie Bean.
Music and SFX - Dave Newby
Big Thanks to - Steve Small, Stephane Coedel, Tim Bjorklund and Clement Prigent
Production - Angelica Jung-Woo and Joy Whilby
Exec Producers - Daniel Lennard and Suzanne Berman

3 comments:

Scott said...

If CN doesn't go into full production on 'The Furry Pals', they are insane. Funniest three minutes of animation I have seen in years. GREAT work on the backgrounds.

Allan Lemos said...

Hi, first of all I'm brazilian city of Recife and do not speak english very well so forgive me if my writing is not up to snuff. I would like to commend the work of animation, was a short film very interesting and flawless soundtrack.

I graduated in graphic design and I'm starting in the world of animation, I have some difficulties during the creative process despite having set my characters can not transport them to the paper. Do you have any advice for this inexperienced animator?

Thank you,
Allan Lemos

Chris Garbutt said...

Hi Allan,
Thanks for getting in touch, I'm glad you liked Rikke's Furry Pals film!
Good luck with the animation too. My background is not as an actual animator, despite much of my work being in the animation field. But if you do have any specific problems or questions feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best to help!
Thanks!